Thursday, September 18, 2008

People Say the Darndest Things

Thought I'd take a few moments to add a post. Over the past couple of weeks, I've encountered dozens of people that have shared their own stories with me.

First, it's amazing how many wives and husbands have gone through this. Officially, the doctor put the number at around 15%. I believe the number may be higher though, because out of my closest friends, they've ALL gone through the loss of a pregnancy.

Second, every now and then, people say things that may make you more upset than consoled. Just remember, they mean well. I've heard so many times about trying for another child. Try again. Try again. In a way, the people are right--do try again. However, that doesn't take away the loss you just suffered. That's a pain that takes time to heal, and trying for another child won't heal the pain of losing what you've just lost.

And finally, I have to talk about my sister. I'm getting the impression that she feels guilty--she's expecting her 2nd child in a couple of months. I remember when I was telling friends and family that my wife and I were expecting earlier this year, I was hesitant to tell some that have suffered losing pregnancies. I remember a guilty feeling. I'll never feel that way again though, because after going through this, I know that I am extremely happy for my sister and others that are expecting. I think it's just one of those things that you have to go through to understand.

By the way, I've learned over the past couple of weeks that God is guiding us. He's blessed us in a bunch of ways as we pick up the pieces. I don't understand some things-- I still have some questions for Him, but I know He's with me and guiding me along, and for that I'm thankful.

Time for some breakfast again!

No comments: